Meet the Caribbean version of buffalo wings!
Delicious crispy chicken wings are coated in an easy to make sweet, sticky and spicy flavoursome glaze!
The sweetness comes from the brown sugar, the spiciness from the scotch bonnet and the tanginess from the apple cider vinegar, and the good news is that you only need 7 ingredients to create these fantastic chicken wings - the kind of chicken wings that everyone will be raving about!
This is perfect for any buffet, half time snack or snack full stop and the fact that it doesn't take long to prepare and cook makes it a winner!
I used 2 teaspoons of Myristca's Scotch Bonnet Fiery BBQ spice in the sauce and they were spicy, but not hot enough to have to drink a glass of milk with it. If you like things seriously spicy then feel free to at least double the amount of spice mix.
For the wings:
500g chicken wings, washed and cut in the middle so that you have the flat part and the mini drum
2 teaspoons baking powder (not bi carbonate of soda)
A pinch of salt
25g strong flour
1.5 teaspoons of Myristca's Scotch Bonnet Fiery BBQ
Vegetable oil for deep frying
For the buffalo soldier sauce:
100g tomato ketchup
30g brown sugar
2 teaspoons of Myristca's Scotch Bonnet Fiery BBQ
Sliced red chillies
Sliced spring onions
1. Marinade your wings in the baking powder with a pinch of salt and leave for 10 mins
2. Meanwhile, get a small saucepan and mix all of the ingredients together for the buffalo soldier sauce and set aside
3. Mix the cornflour and strong flour together and set aside
4. Heat oil to 180c
5. After 10 minutes add the flour mix to the chicken wings and massage in
6. Fry the chicken wings until golden brown
7. When the chicken wings are golden brown remove with a slotted spoon and place onto a plate or tray lined with kitchen paper before putting into a large bowl
8. Bring the buffalo soldier sauce up to the boil and then smother the wings in enough sauce to coat them all over
9. Toss the wings in the sauce to make sure that they are fully coated
10. Garnish with sliced red chillies and some sliced spring onions before enjoying!